1. Saffrona spice grown worldwide,is derived from the saffron crocus flower. A pound of dry saffron (0.45 kg) requires 50000–75000 flowers to make,meaning an entire football field of these flowers. Requiring so much resources and labor prices for the spice go around US$500/pound to US$5000/pound (US$1100–US$11000 per kilogram).
2. The most expensive nut in the world is the Macadamia nut. The macadamia tree produces nuts only after it’s 7-10 years old requiring fertile soil and heavy rainfall. These nuts have a very hard seed but once it’s open it reveals a creamy white kernel containing up to 80% oil and 4% sugar. The cost of a kilogram of these nuts exceeds 30$.
3. The most expensive caviar in the world is not the black onebut the almas caviar! The word ‘ almas ’ is Iranian for diamond. Beluga caviar comes from a fish over 100 years oldthat is virtually unchanged for 120 million years. The luxurious caviar comes from the oldest survivor of the Dinosaur era. Beluga caviar ranges in price from more than $5000 per kilogram in the United States
4. The most expensive mushroom in the world is the white truffle. The mushroom has its origins in the Langhe area of the Piedmont region in northern Italyit can reach 12 cm diameter and 500g. These truffles are sold at a amazing price of €2000 and €4000 per kilogram ($1350 - $2700 per pound). The record price for this truffle was paid last year,in December,when Stanley Ho,the owner of the Macau casino paid $330000 for 1.5kg of truffles
5. The most expensive potato in the world is a French one“La Bonnotte”. Annually,only 100 tons of this top quality potato are cultivated and collected only on the island Noirmoutier. The potato fields require to be fertilized only with seaweed in a climate shaped by the nearby sea. The cost of one single kilogram can reach €500 since this type of potato is almost extinct.
6. The most expensive beef in the world is the type of beef coming from the Wagyu cows. These Japanese cows are fed the best grass and provided the best treatment. That is why the meat is especially tender and particularly expensive. 200 grams of a fillet cost in Europe more than 100 dollars.
7. The most expensive sandwich in the world is the club sandwich from Essen aka von Essen Platinum Club Sandwich. This triple-Decker delicacy contains the finest chicken,ham,hard-boiled quails’ eggs and white truffles and it’s currently sold at Cliveden Berkshire. The chicken (poulet de Bresse) is referred to as the ‘fourth gastronomic wonder of the world served with a topping of white truffles,sold at over a thousands ponds a month. At 1182 calories,with 1.8oz of fat,it’s not the healthiest dish but certainly one of the most expensive. Costing 100 pounds (almost 200 dollars)this is a must-try for the food fanatics.
8.The most expensive pizza in the world,valued at 8300 Eur can be tasted in Italy . With generous toppings of caviar and lobster,the pizza has a diameter of 20cm and Louis XIII Remy Martin cognac poured all over it.
9. The most expensive omelet in the world can be tasted at the Le Parker Meridien restaurant in New York . The $1000 omelet consists of 10 ounces of sevruga caviara whole lobster,and six eggs. To make it in the privacy of your own home,the cost will be only $700.
10. Off to something sweet now with one of the most expensive deserts in the world,served at Serendipity 3a popular restaurant in the Upper East Side of Manhattan. The $1000 sundae was introduced in 2004 and was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the most expensive dessert. It’s made up of 5 scoops of the richest Tahitian vanilla bean ice cream, Madagascar vanilla,23K edible gold leaf and one of the most expensive chocolates in the world,Amedei Porceleana.